A simple yet common mistake many make when using their washing machine could lead to health issues like sneezing, itching, and runny noses. This mistake, often overlooked, involves how we handle our washing machine after use.
The Mistake and Its Consequences
According to Eleanor Potter from Plumbworld, the mistake lies in immediately closing the washing machine door after removing the laundry.
This action restricts air circulation within the machine, creating an ideal environment for the growth of mold and mildew. These can trigger allergic reactions such as sneezing, coughing, and congestion.
To prevent mold buildup, it’s advised to leave the washing machine door slightly open for a few hours after use. This allows air to circulate and prevents the damp conditions in which mold thrives.
Regular cleaning of the machine, especially the rubber seal, with a bleach-based mold cleaner is also recommended. Additionally, cleaning the filter and detergent drawer every four to six weeks can maintain the machine’s efficiency and hygiene.
A small change in how we use our washing machines can have a significant impact on our health and the longevity of the appliance.
By simply leaving the door ajar after use and performing regular maintenance, we can avoid harmful mold growth and ensure a healthier living environment.